Empty nesters have a unique opportunity to create a living space that truly reflects your lifestyle. With your children flown the nest, it’s the perfect time to focus on creating a custom home design that caters to your evolving needs and personal preferences. Here is an empty nesters design guide to consider for your new home in greater Houston.
- Single-Story Living: Many empty nesters find single-story homes to be more practical and convenient. They eliminate the need to climb stairs and provide a seamless flow between rooms. Consider an open-concept design that enhances the feeling of spaciousness.
- Primary Suite Retreat: Transform your primary suite into a luxurious retreat. Add features like a walk-in closet, spa-like bathroom, and a cozy sitting area. This is your sanctuary, so make it as comfortable and inviting as possible.
- Flexible Guest Spaces: While your children may have left the nest, you’ll still want to accommodate visitors. Create versatile guest spaces, like a comfortable guest bedroom with an attached bathroom or a multi-purpose room that can double as a guest suite.
- Open Kitchen: The kitchen often becomes the heart of the home. Consider a well-appointed, open kitchen with modern appliances, ample storage, and a center island that’s perfect for meal preparation and casual dining.
- Outdoor Oasis: Pay attention to outdoor living spaces. Design a tranquil patio where you can relax, entertain, and enjoy the fresh air. A well-landscaped yard can provide a serene backdrop.
- Energy Efficiency: As empty nesters, you may want to invest in energy-efficient features, smart home technology, and superior insulation. This not only reduces utility bills but also contributes to a more sustainable lifestyle. Jamestown Estate Homes includes spray foam insulation in our attics.
- Home Office or Hobby Room: With fewer people at home, consider creating a dedicated space for your hobbies or a home office. These rooms can be tailored to your specific interests, whether it’s a crafting room, an art studio, or a cozy reading nook.
- Age-In-Place Features: Think long-term. Incorporate age-in-place features like wider doorways, zero-step entries, and grab bars in the bathrooms. These will make your home more accessible and comfortable as you age.
Building a new home as empty nesters is an opportunity to focus on your own comfort and desires. Collaborate with Jamestown Estate Homes to ensure your vision becomes a reality. As Houston’s top luxury home builder, we will help ensure your home perfectly suits this exciting phase of your life. We hope our empty nesters design guide helps give ideas for your next home.